Friday, March 27, 2009

Adam Goldstein:Future Astronaut?

Adam Goldstein, a University of Alabama-Huntsville graduate student received an award for his work with the Gamma-ray Burst Monitor (GBM) instrument on NASA's Fermi Gamma-ray Space Telescope. On his first day as a volunteer, Adam was finishing his 12 hour shift when a gamma ray burst that lasted 23 minutes was recorded. To learn more of the story click this link to The Science Centric article.

The reason why I am blogging this story is Adam is a graduate of McDonald County High School. His father, Scott Goldstein, has been keeping me informed what has been happening. In this article written by the McDonald County Press, Adam spoke about his dream is to become an astronaut. This ties in with our reading story this week, Interview with an Astronaut. I am hoping we have an opportunity in the future to interview Adam about his future plans. Then maybe we will have our own Interview with an Astronaut!


This is a picture of the award Adam and his team were given for their detection of the gamma ray burst.

3 comments:

Little Voices, Little Scholars. said...

This just shows that if you have a dream and you pursue it hard enough, the dream can come true. Thanks for sharing.

Jenny

Anonymous said...

Mr. C and your fifth grade class,

You have a very cool class blog. I enjoyed looking at your pictures and reading what you are doing in class. Thank you for telling me about this very interesting post. I understand Adam's dream and wish him the best. Becoming an astronaut and walking in space was one of my dreams as a kid and, because I believed in myself and worked hard, I was able to achieve it. Never give up on your dreams, kids! And Dr. C, keep up the hard work. Thank you for all you do.

Regards,

Bernard Harris

Dr. Scott said...

I remember when Adam was 6 years old. He told me he wanted to be an astronaut. Adam graduated 6 years ago from McDonald County High School, and to this day, is committed to live his dream. He has always given 110% in everything he does. I believe he will get to live this dream because of his passion.
Each and everyone of us has or will have a passion to do something or be somebody. Realizing your passion is only part of it. Living it has to be your ultimate goal.
I would hope that like Adam, everyone who reads the blog and this comment will make a commitment to find their passion, and reach for their "star."