Sunday, April 14, 2013

Chris Hadfield, Mentoring Pre-Service Teachers, and a Lip Dub That Is Out of This World (Literally!)

So I participated in a lip dub with others who were part of mentoring or students of ECMP 355  (including our own pre-service friend, Dylan Longmoore). To be honest it was the hardest thing I had to do this year, and that includes playing ukulele in front of the school board! Dean Shareski put it together and did the video editing.



I.S.S. The Lip Dub from shareski on Vimeo.

Here is the original video in case you want to compare.



Imagine my surprise when I read the post Collaboration: We've Arrived and discovered that Chris Hadfield watched it while on the International Space Station orbiting the Earth! How cool is that?


Update


I just found this great post on Art with Mrs. Rose that details the story a little more fully. There I found that the activity had been broadcast on the CBC radio program Voyage North

5 comments:

DebbieFuco said...

A true 'out of this world' experience and SO inspirational! Hats off to all who made this video possible and shared it with the rest of us so we can be reminded of what true collaboration and imagination look like!

Unknown said...

Isn't that just the best, knowing that he watched it too. My students are so pumped about it. We loved seeing you in it. When I reminded them who you were, one student said, "Remember, he's the guy that dropped the ipad out the window when we were Skyping." Too fun.

Wm Chamberlain said...

Debbie, it was a really difficult experience for me (as I alluded to in the post.) Of all the things I have done before including making videos of me playing the ukulele, this was by far the mos anxiety ridden thing I have done. Weird, huh. To me this is a great example of doing something that was really difficult. The only reason I finished it was because I didn't want to let the other participants down.

Mavis, of coure I remember the ipad dropping incident too, it has the battle scars to remind me :) It is definitely a good reminder though :)

DebbieFuco said...

William, I know this was way outside your comfort zone, and I keep hearing that's exactly where great things happen. You have definitely proven that theory correct!

Mrs. Rose said...

I'm floored. I never imagined that you'd be nervous. I think there are so many of us who get nervous, and we imagine that everyone else performs with ease. It's kind-of reassuring in a way, isn't it? I'm so happy for (and proud of) you, then! It can be a really big battle to do something that you're not completely comfortable with. Huge accomplishment!! Yay!